top of page

Orphaned No More!


I started a project this summer to combine a couple of sewing spaces into one. This turned into quite the project, organizing my scraps into color-coordinated piles and figuring out a way to store them where I wouldn’t lose track of what I had. Well, you wouldn’t believe what I found stashed here and there among my sewing stuff!

I must have had an orphaned block or two from every quilt or demo I have done for the last five-plus years. I began to lay them all out. As I found them, the ideas started to flood in. These blocks weren’t all the same size, but I figured if I could get them to a common size I could make the mother of all scrap quilts! Haha!

I went to the design wall and began to “build”. I decided on an 8½” diamond as my common size, meaning I could use two 8½” triangles to fill up the same amount of space.

I thought a color graduating layout would allow for some oddball different shades as I worked with what I had.

In some cases, I sewed the smallest units together to build bigger units and then added a random black and white stripe or other graphic print to fill where needed.

I could have just sewed more of the same color in these areas, but there’s something fun and unexpected about adding these stripes. And in a way, it pulled all those crazy blocks together with a little bit of a common theme.

The colors came together, and I just worked on it as I had time. It was on the design wall for a little while, and every time I walked by I would grab more pieces and arrange another block worth of scraps. I have to admit it did start to get exciting once the colors were all laid out. I was on a mission to use every last scrap…. Haha, dream on!

Once I had all the blocks formed, I trimmed everything up to 8½” diamond by using my Large 60-Degree Diamond Ruler. Most of them were already about that size with an odd strip hanging out here or there.

I sewed the blocks to each other in diagonal rows. I pressed the seams between blocks open, to make for less bulk in the intersections, and sewed the rows together into two halves. Then, I sewed the final diagonal seam to join the two sides and it was done!

But wait, there’s more! Of course, I had a million flannel scraps and strips from other backings. I decided to just sew a bunch of those together for the back. I pressed the seams open between each of these strips to disperse the bulk.

I quilted it up with my go-to straight lines, meandering back and forth, to fill up the diamond shapes and it looks quite cool from the back.

I added a striped binding to cap it all off. Now, I am the happy owner of the mother of all scrap quilts!

Boy, is it a happy quilt too! Just look at all those colors. It’s fun to think back on the quilts they came from and projects that have come and gone. This quilt tells a story!

I was also thinking this process can be done with any shape. I can see adding square blocks together, or squares and rectangles into a common size. You could make your colors shade or work them into big block units and then put those together… the possibilities are endless 🙂



Happy Sunday everyone,


Krista



Follow all my quilty adventures on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Visit my YouTube channel for free tutorials and tips. If you like my patterns, you can buy them on Etsy, and here on the website.




6,721 views0 comments

Related Posts

See All

Comments


bottom of page